Bragging

Anything related to the Lost Labyrinth game series.
zefz
Site Admin

Re: Bragging

Post by zefz » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:00 pm

That is really fast! Oo

Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by Max » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:25 pm

Yerh and it would have been much faster if I had just picked up the staff.
I think you will have to do a serious nerf for this one actually.
Without some kind of change everyone will win easy-peasy.

I'll start another thread named 'Etheralness'.

Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by Max » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:05 am

Victorious in 643 turns 8-)
(it's just Etheralness exploiting :lol:, you can delete it)

zefz
Site Admin

Post by zefz » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:09 pm

Yes need to look into that Etheralness spell. Seems too powerful as it currently is :)

Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by Max » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:00 pm

Back on the leaderboard.
For the first time I'v been playing about with some the default characters.
Good fun :D

kongxinga

Post by kongxinga » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:40 am

Max are you the "Wizard with default skills only" that seems the first victorious in 1.8? I am the current 2nd (you knocked me out of my first :P), and have several different characters in the leaderboard (the one's with swearing is often me).

How did you manage to win as the default Wizard? It seems like an insanely weak choice with too many magic picks. (Elementary mastery and Illusion? I mean how many picks do you want to spend on magic paths). How did you manage food, water and healing, as well as your mana needs? You spent a large amount of turns, and I've been doing a troll genie build, which can slowly explore and heal up if my crit does not land. If it wasn't for the troll genie I think I would have run out of either health, heals, food or water long ago.

How does a typical gameplay as a wizard look like? Is there anything I need to look forward to in the deeper depths? My current builds are either a stealth build (dropped thievery since I was full of items anyways, despite the pilfer from shopkeeper buff) or a ranger build with Warlock magic to get magical arrows (eventually, never managed to survive that long, especially when the arrows run out).

Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by Max » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:28 pm

Your making good progress Kongxinga, your first win takes the longest.
Troll+Genie build is great!
Also you can cushion it's high cost with the 3 flaws, Cripped, Cursed and Pioson Weakness making the cobo cost you only 1 CP.
As time now means nothing to you, you can just wait out all Piosons and Curses.
Thats 1 CP for Infinite free healing and no need for food/water. Mind blowing.

---------------------------------

Talking about wizards.
Yes, thats me with the Default Wizard, I did not think any of the default characters could get a win and wanted to try.
I was worried there were to few magic picks, the default wizard does not have crystal mage, time magic or Druid magic (magic apple).
All things I thought were needed so I'm really happy it worked out.
Like you, I also thought Illusion (and most of Elementary mastery) was just weak.
However, now I had to made up a new kind of playstyle just for this build.
I was forced to make do and learned more about the game thanks to the self imposed restrictions.
Illusion has Vanish (Live Saver!) and invisibility.
I only just started use invisibility in this last game and... facepalm... why have I not been doing this the whole time!? It's so safe, so powerful.
Elementary mastery gets you refresh (water), levitate (air, just walk over most traps), feather fall (air, have 2 exits) and portal (earth).
Using Vanish 2 or 3 times and then portal 2 or 3 times could get through most levels.
The trick is crystals, you need to get all the crystals you can to keep feeding these spells.
For this I was using Break Boulder (earth) and energy from the stones (earth).

Managing water can be done with refresh (water). This uses a crystal, so only if needed.
Later Tidal Wave for water without using crystals.
Managing food is done with Sward to Ploughshre (free basic spell, everyone gets it).
Save/buy cheap useless weapons in lower levels to use with this spell when you have it unlocked later.
Healing using crystals only if you have to. There are ways to heal without using crystals, it the last game I was using Soul of fire (fire) and then repeatedly casting fire ward (fire).
Each fire ward cast cost 2 mana and heals 2 health.

You can solve all problems if your mana was bottomless and thats the real game. Mana/crystal management.
That said, in the game when leveling up you CAN NOT put points into mana, not one!
ALL leveling up points go into power, evey time.
When the game starts you are a wizards racing the clock to get to the Sward to Ploughshre spell before you starve to death.
Your mana increase comes from God of Magic, seeing the Nexus each level will give you +2 mana per level, you must do this each time in the fist 10 or 20 levels.
Before going down to the next level each time stop and use up all of your remaining mana casting mage armor and other things, then use Blessing of magic (from God of Magic) to fully refill mana before going down.
Going down will reset your Blessing of magic each time.

As a wizard you will need a mouse wheel for zooming the view in and out (end game Tidal Wave etc).
The mouse wheel is also needed when your number of spells becomes overwhelming, you can not be clicking up and down with a laptop touchpad when you have Elementary mastery.
With so many spells you will need to get used to setting up the hotkey buttons, what I like to do is put all of the buff spells on hotkey set 3.
You can jump from hotkey set 1 to set 3 by holding down the shift button.
This will give you 20 spells at your fingertips.

Wizards die easy in the fist levels of the game but become power monsters later if you can make it.
One more thing... don't underestimate the usefulness of summons, any summoned creature that does not need crystals is great!
In the mid game it's the summoned creatures that will be walking over traps for you, falling down pit traps for you and walking into unknown rooms for you.
Hope something there is of help to you Kongxinga. Good luck.

zefz
Site Admin

Post by zefz » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:58 pm

Very cool guide!
The mouse wheel is also needed when your number of spells becomes overwhelming, you can not be clicking up and down with a laptop touchpad when you have Elementary mastery.
Sounds like I need to add filtering the spell book on spell schools.

zefz
Site Admin

Post by zefz » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:33 pm

Like so :)

kongxinga

Post by kongxinga » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:44 pm

Nice Guide Max. You seemed to have figured out new ways of managing resources, seems like the only limited resource is basically Mana.

In the old Lost Laby (Frank Malota Blitz Basic) I recall the nexus could be reused forever, which made it a lot easier to use wizards, especially a wizard and God of War since you sit on the nexus, and cast those full dungeon nukes and kill those breeding rats for example, which would net you stat boosts and make you very tanky (for a wizard).

In this version I don't seem to have much luck. Been using SpellSongs (no mana needed) or just hybrid classes such as Archer+Warlock for magic arrows.

Those are good tips, and invisibility/stealth is great. Its not as great as back in the old version (where stealth could stealth attack, ie attack a adjacent monster (who is not alerted) while remaining in stealth so other monsters in line of sight don't toss fireballs at you, and this stealth attack gained massive critical hit bonuses). Here, especially with arachnophobia and necrophobia, I have to give undead and spiders a free hit as a try and always fail to sneak, and then attack, or alternatively drop stealth and be hit by arrows all over the place.

Your tips on the weaknesses seem good, but I am wary of poison weakness on my troll character, since poison stops the heal, but I guess I could take it. Crippled probably is too much for my thief but works for wizards. Cursed is often a great pick.

Any difficulty against that late game monster the AOD (old forums always used the initials to avoid spoilers) I guess you have teleports and can teleport past it.

As a thief I need more escapes/teleports, and have to rely on scrolls. Vanish is a great lifesaver it seems. On one promising run I triggered the 4 pharoah mummy ambush on the shrine, and got pelted with insects, which meant my next hit missed and life drain from 4 killed me. if I had a teleport I would have gotten away with that.

Towards the late game, those always hit traps (ie pits with poison for example) get REALLY annoying without levitate. As a thief with high dex and perception, I can spot and cross most traps with impunity, but these always hit traps often attrite me down especially without troll or Genie. Using your summons to trigger traps is great and actually hilarious (in tabletop RPGs, a lot of dungeons, even the most dangerous ones, got negated by the PCs either hiring hirelings to walk in front, driving a herd of cattle in front, and poking things with a 10 foot pole. Some clever Dungeon masters will find ways around that).