Reminiscing About Old Times

Submit and discuss suggestions for new features or gameplay improvements.
Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Reminiscing About Old Times

Post by Max » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:15 pm

Continuing from the Welcome thread...
zefz wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:27 pm
Free Magic should be fairly easy to add, but I remember it was tricky to balance in the old Lost Labyrinth :D
Ha! I bet it was! :lol:
Most fun trait in the game in my opinion.
Make it cost what you like, I'l be happy it's in there :D
It was also real fun mixing Free Magic with another missing Trait, I think it was called 'scroll law'?
There was also another one that would give you random scrolls for free.
Most games the combination would not work out... but sometimes ...sometimes it would be unstoppable!
zefz wrote:
Isn't Undead the same as the Vampirism trait?
To me... no, not at all. Lets see if I can explain this.

There was a relatively small amount of time after the 'Undead' trait was first introduced but before the 'Vampirism' trait replaced it.
It was in this time I had a lot of fun.

When 'Vampirism' first appeared I was initially annoyed, then I tryed playing with Vampirism and actually I like it too, it's a fun trait.
If Vampirism was changed back into simply Undead again I think this game would be missing out of something good... but Vampirism is different.
What I really want is both choices in the game.

Undead was really simple, all it did was remove your requirements for food and water (it also made you an outcast like Vampirism). What it did not do was replace them with any other requirements or down sides (unlike Vampirism).
Having No requirements to stay in the game (food, water or blood) was awesome!
Suddenly time meant nohting, nohting at all.

It opend up a whole new playstyle, like no other build.
Your movement per turn did not matter, staying on a level to pick up everything before move down to the next level was just fine. Poison attacks you could use suddenly become really good (just hit them once and come back later). Spell values changed, the druid heal over time spell and the spell songs that work as you walk about both got better. Did you get a curse or two? Thats cool just sit tight and pass for a hundred turns or so and you'll be fine.

It was really fun, like you were this ancient thing slowly creeping about in the dark, taking your time with everything.
With the undead trait I never thought of them as a vampire, it was just some thing :mrgreen:
Vampirism can not give you this playstyle, not even close.

zefz wrote:
Hero Potion would be the same as Eye of Udajat that increases experience level. It's in the game but it is rare :)
Yeah, I guess so.
To me it was the Hero Potion that gave value to alchemy.

zefz
Site Admin

Re: Reminiscing About Old Times

Post by zefz » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:37 pm

I will look into adding a trait that removes hunger and thirst as obstacles in the game (e.g Timeless Body).

Scroll Lore was a trait that allowed you to learn spells from scrolls (very similar to Free Magic, except you had to find the scroll in addition). The Arcane Writings trait that is in the game will give you a random scroll every level.

The Alchemy trait now also gives a random potion every level.

Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by Max » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:11 am

zefz wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:37 pm
I will look into adding a trait that removes hunger and thirst as obstacles in the game (e.g Timeless Body).
Thanks man!
Looking forward to it. :D
zefz wrote:
Scroll Lore was a trait that allowed you to learn spells from scrolls (very similar to Free Magic, except you had to find the scroll in addition). The Arcane Writings trait that is in the game will give you a random scroll every level.
I have never used Arcane Writings without Scroll Lore to me the two just go together.
Maybe I should try it sometime.
zefz wrote:
The Alchemy trait now also gives a random potion every level.
I did not know that.
I have not really used Alchemy since the removal of the hero potion.
I wonder if alchemy would be better for 1CP if the payer already has herbalism.
Like, 4 CP for both... no one is going to do that right?
Maybe even 1CP each but we must have herbalism first?
...I don't know :roll: I need to test it more.

Grunz

Post by Grunz » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:31 am

In the old times, scroll lore was limited to any spell two levels below your circle. But as the game did not prevent you from raising your circle above 15, you just went ahead to 17. Then you were able to learn absolutely all spells from all schools once you found the scroll. 2 cp uber mage.
You could also keep raising the circle to collect more spells for free magic. With all circles available from 15 onward.

In the actual release, both free magic and scroll lore are limited to exactly one spell per circle from exactly that circle.
I also made the spell success rate formula worse for them compared to normal schools. So free magic is still powerful, but costly in cp and mana. Scroll lore can do the same as free magic for 2 cp, but you have to find the scrolls first. So Scroll lore is a bit of dead weight until you do.

Arcane Writing is by no means required for Scroll Lore or vice versa, as you no longer can create scrolls of spells you don't know already.
I considered it to be something for either emergency spells that can't be allowed to fail, or a way to store away mana from the nexus into your inventory to carry away.

I always used alchemy to mix mana potions for mages with "disjunct", keeping duration-spells going forever with high magic - very nice for spells with a cast limit.