Various small balance thoughts/suggestions/questions [1.9.0]

Submit and discuss suggestions for new features or gameplay improvements.
sasbot

Various small balance thoughts/suggestions/questions [1.9.0]

Post by sasbot » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:05 am

Back again with more small things that dont necessarily warrant their own post in the bug thread:
  1. It still seems a bit odd that the light from traps that glow (fire pits, those purple glowing pits, etc) does not illuminate around them before you spot the trap itself. Not a big deal, just seems odd to ponder how it works.
  2. Tools could benefit from messages in the text box warning when they are about to break, to not obsess as much about keeping them topped off when you have the ability to repair them
  3. No magic trait locks out your mana stat, but there are still other ways to use mana - arcane shot and mystic could both still be chosen. I still havent tested anything about mystic, but arcane shot seems like a good pick for a no casting build, not sure what the proper solution to this would be.
  4. When loading a game, no image is shown for games that did not yet take a turn before exiting (such as when restarting multiple times to get a better starting ring).
  5. It is quite possible to fill up your inventory with conjured items that you cannot drop (but it certainly shouldn't be happening by accident, :lol: you are probably seeking out bugs if you end up like this) just have to wait out the durations if you get to that point.
  6. Conjuring special equipment items might be improved if they were to refresh the duration/enchantments of an existing one instead of creating a new one. Other than balance issues (saving some energy that you would have spent equipping the new one, very minor), the only problem would be that warlock characters who dual wield might want to be able to have two magic swords?
  7. You can pick up items and do everything else while levitating, but not drink/fill waterskins from rivers. You can even drink puddles while levitating. Levitation is very strong, but this seems inconsistent. If it is *too* strong, perhaps allow doing everything still but have it cost a turn of duration every time you interact with ground items? Not sure if too harsh.
  8. Freeze water does not kill friendly summons currently standing in water, not sure if functioning as intended. Also do the kills from that spell count as being by the player? I never saw blessing of war trigger from that, but hard to tell whether failing the % chance or if bugged
  9. Teleporters seem to only be able to be activated with the use key when teleport shield is active, the rest of the time you have to step off and back on to go back through. Maybe using them without moving should be normal behavior, but teleporting uses energy like 1 tile movement?
  10. Metamagic - stabilize is applying to blessings from traits
  11. I'm addicted to haste + fast animations. :D love it!
  12. when a travelling trader is a genie (from a ??? room), outcasts cannot trade with them but genies from lamps still are fine with trading. Not really a bug, just thought it worth noting.
  13. you can sell a genie it's own lamp... seemed a bit odd but quite funny
  14. Suggestion: a spell or a trait to help spot mimic chests, sort of like see invisible. if as a trait maybe also get better drops from them? If a spell seems like too much safety for spellcasters, perhaps make it a targeted spell rather than enchantment with duration. Targeted spell probably would have to be very low mana or not require line of sight to be worth using.
  15. Question about medusa room - is there anything special that can be done with the statues? I tried break boulder and create golem but neither did anything. would be a cool interaction :)
  16. Suggestion - display a bit more info in the tooltip about rods/staffs/wands etc concerning the chance to burn out on use, and perhaps the strength of the effect (how many turns, or maybe just what spellpower they cast with). Currently I'm not entirely sure what the actual difference is between the types of magic items, what makes a rod different from a staff?

zefz
Site Admin

Re: Various small balance thoughts/suggestions/questions [1.9.0]

Post by zefz » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:01 am

It still seems a bit odd that the light from traps that glow (fire pits, those purple glowing pits, etc) does not illuminate around them before you spot the trap itself. Not a big deal, just seems odd to ponder how it works.
The idea was that the pit does not open up before it is triggered or the player detects it and "triggers" the trap from a distance.

If you look closely, pit traps that are not open look like this:
FOREGROUND_PIT_LAVA_HIDDEN.png
FOREGROUND_PIT_LAVA_HIDDEN.png (384 Bytes) Viewed 359 times
And once they are open they will look like this:
FOREGROUND_PIT_FLAMES.png
FOREGROUND_PIT_FLAMES.png (1.88 KiB) Viewed 359 times
and only the second one will emit light.
Tools could benefit from messages in the text box warning when they are about to break, to not obsess as much about keeping them topped off when you have the ability to repair them
Good idea. This could apply to weapons and armour as well as tools.

zefz
Site Admin

Post by zefz » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:21 am

No magic trait locks out your mana stat, but there are still other ways to use mana - arcane shot and mystic could both still be chosen. I still havent tested anything about mystic, but arcane shot seems like a good pick for a no casting build, not sure what the proper solution to this would be.
Good point. The easiest solution for now would to lock Arcane Shot when picking No Magic. Mystic is a bit more special, since the Mystic Attack and healing from Mana Crystals would still be useful (only the Mystic Power part of the trait would be useless).

I will prevent using Mystic Power, but rest of the trait would be useful for non-casters to have.

zefz
Site Admin

Post by zefz » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:34 pm

When loading a game, no image is shown for games that did not yet take a turn before exiting (such as when restarting multiple times to get a better starting ring).
I've made various improvements to the loading screen:
Screenshot from 2021-04-11 22-31-44.png
Screenshot from 2021-04-11 22-31-44.png (218.06 KiB) Viewed 355 times
  • It should not always draw the situation of the game, no matter if you exit through a menu or the like.
  • All players and summons are listed up along with their names and character levels.
  • Number of staff pieces found will be displayed in the save

zefz
Site Admin

Post by zefz » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:02 pm

It is quite possible to fill up your inventory with conjured items that you cannot drop (but it certainly shouldn't be happening by accident, :lol: you are probably seeking out bugs if you end up like this) just have to wait out the durations if you get to that point.
It is now possible to dismiss conjured items by dropping them.
Conjuring special equipment items might be improved if they were to refresh the duration/enchantments of an existing one instead of creating a new one.
It would work for some spells, but others generate a new items with different effects each time the spell is cast. Sometimes you might want to cast the same times a couple of times until you get the magic enchants you need.
You can pick up items and do everything else while levitating, but not drink/fill waterskins from rivers.
It is now possible to drink water and refill waterskin by "activating" a watertile - even when levitating og waterwalking.
Freeze water does not kill friendly summons currently standing in water, not sure if functioning as intended. Also do the kills from that spell count as being by the player? I never saw blessing of war trigger from that, but hard to tell whether failing the % chance or if bugged
Freeze water does not have friendly fire. Also the spell does award any monster kills to the caster of the spell.
Teleporters seem to only be able to be activated with the use key when teleport shield is active
Yes this is intended. Some levels with adjacent teleporters (like Halls of Illusion) makes the teleportes a puzzle. Teleport Shield allows you to control teleporters at will.
Metamagic - stabilize is applying to blessings from traits
Is that not a good thing? Makes the Stabilize spell even more useful :)
I'm addicted to haste + fast animations
Good to hear! :) I've speed up the most common slow animations that I encountered. Tell me if you find any more that should be speed up.
when a travelling trader is a genie (from a ??? room), outcasts cannot trade with them but genies from lamps still are fine with trading
Yes the Genie from the lamp is bound to service while the trader you can encounter is a free genie with free will :)
you can sell a genie it's own lamp... seemed a bit odd but quite funny
:D The genie will gladly buy its lamp and freedom back!
Suggestion: a spell or a trait to help spot mimic chests, sort of like see invisible.
I've made it so that the Sense Monsters trait will now always reveal all chest mimics. Even when they are outside line of sight.
Question about medusa room - is there anything special that can be done with the statues?
No had not added anything to them yet. But I've added the following now:
Break Boulder: Will drop random item and sometimes just rocks
Create Golem: will turn the statue into a golem

Another idea would have a "Stone to Flesh" type spell or "Remove Curse" that would recruit them as free Mercenaries... but this is not something I've added (yet).
Suggestion - display a bit more info in the tooltip about rods/staffs/wands etc concerning the chance to burn out on use, and perhaps the strength of the effec
Good idea. Some if this is explained in the FAQ already, but it's better to explain this in-game. Should this information be accessible to all or should it be locked behind a Lore Perk? (e.g Artifact Lore, Magic Item Lore, Appraising)

Break Chance
Common: 20%
Elder: 10%
Ancient: 5%

Spell Circle
Wand: Circle 1 to 5
Rod: Circle 6 to 10
Staff: Circle 11 to 14

So a Elder Wand would hold a circle 6 to 10 spell and have 10% chance to break upon use.
tooltip.png
tooltip.png (57.21 KiB) Viewed 341 times

sasbot

Post by sasbot » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:50 am

zefz wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:02 pm
I'm addicted to haste + fast animations
Good to hear! :) I've speed up the most common slow animations that I encountered. Tell me if you find any more that should be speed up.
I think the only scenario that is still quite bad I ran into is when you fall into a fire demon pit and cast an AoE spell. Each explosion of a salamander causes a 0 damage animation on all the remaining ones around it, and overall it is very slow to resolve.

On a lesser scale - walking around with with the trap sense spell active and pausing constantly for traps spotted on the other side of a wall. Only a very minor annoyance - perhaps the pauses should only be for when you find a trap adjacent to you, not when it is multiple tiles away.