Spellcasting QoL

Submit and discuss suggestions for new features or gameplay improvements.
Anolise

Re: Spellcasting QoL

Post by Anolise » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:30 pm

I do remember there was a quickcast option in the old game that would let you cast all buffs in a single turn. I found this to be a bit overpowered so I'm not sure if it should be added back into DX. If it is added, maybe it should just be a convenience feature that casts each of the spells sequentially, but still consuming food, water and making you susceptible to ambush during the casting.
Alternatively, the quickcast list could be associated with a trait, and you can only multi-cast your buffs if you have that trait. This would be a good way to balance the feature.

sasbot

Post by sasbot » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:35 pm

I too was a huge fan of the 'Enchanter' trait from the old LLaby :D but it was definitely horribly imbalanced 8-)
Casting multiple spells per turn is probably not the way to go, given that the nexus no longer erases active spells.

The enchanting lifestyle does need some sort of QoL improvements in this version though. I have some thoughts:
  • Effects on the player (spells or otherwise) should be ordered by duration remaining
this would let characters who run multiple buffs more easily keep track of which spells they need to recast. Even just basic magic alone has multiple buffs that you might want to try and keep running, if you combine it with a few more schools the list gets pretty crowded and the icons get smaller and smaller.
  • Spellcaster QoL would be massively improved by a way to auto-pick and cast a spell selected by 'least remaining duration'
By this I mean that the game would look at spells you know and have mana to cast, and check against the current remaining turns of whatever buff it provides. Then sort the results and cast whichever was lowest. So if your buffs have run out, it would first cast those, followed by renewing whatever spell would have next run out.

This would obviously cast some stuff you probably do not care about if you know more than 2 or 3 schools, but once your spellpower is high the amount of player tedium involved in buff upkeep is more important than saving a few mana points or turns every level.

This could come in the form of a trait, but without a numeric buff to something in-game it is nothing the player couldn't already do themselves. The idea is to reduce the tedium involved for the player when there are many available buffs to maintain. Perhaps a trait would allow creating a custom subset of spells to cast via this method, rather than the default of choosing from every buff you know. We could even call it 'quickcasting' just for old time's sake ;)

zefz
Site Admin

Post by zefz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:43 pm

I've made it so that buffs are now sorted by duration (shortest duration on top). Furthermore debuffs will be ordered before any beneficial effects.

zefz
Site Admin

Post by zefz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:44 pm

Perhaps a hotkey by clicking on a specific buff you could try to recast it?

sasbot

Post by sasbot » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:41 pm

zefz wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:44 pm
Perhaps a hotkey by clicking on a specific buff you could try to recast it?
Combined with the effects being ordered by duration remaining, that sounds like a huge improvement! With a hotkey like that, you could just hover over the top spot and fire off a few quick turns of buffs without it getting tedious.
Especially useful when away from the nexus and you only need to recast a few short or medium length buffs without hunting through the spell list.

zefz
Site Admin

Post by zefz » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:03 pm

This has now been added to the next release.

Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by Max » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:34 am

Wow!
Sounds like you 2 have some good work going on :D