Is thievery of Shopkeepers implemented?

Anything related to the Lost Labyrinth game series.
kongxinga
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Is thievery of Shopkeepers implemented?

Post by kongxinga » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:38 pm

The Thievery trait allows you to pickpocket 3 humanoids per level. However, in its description, it says you can use it to steal from shopkeepers as well. However, I cannot target the shopkeeper with the pickpocket skill, and when I interact with the shop keeper, I only have the usual purchasing screen.

Back in the Blitz Basic version (I think) one could steal through the shop screen. Selecting an item gave you an extra button to attempt to pilfer it. I think haggling worked kinda the same way.

However, I don't seem to understand how stealing from shopkeepers would work in this version, so I suspect perhaps it is yet to be implemented. How should I steal from shopkeepers. I presume the shopkeeper stealing part is where thievery shines, because the humanoids usually give me trash, useful trash, but still trash. I don't think I've gotten magical equipment from them yet.

zefz
Site Admin

Re: Is thievery of Shopkeepers implemented?

Post by zefz » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:39 pm

Yes you are right - it's not completely implemented yet. The intention was to add a Pilfer button in the shop (with more valuable items being harder to steal).

The difficult part to implement was balancing. What would be the consequences of getting caught?
* Merchant disappears/refuses to trade
* You get a "outlaw" reputation that increases prices in all shops and makes it harder to steal in the future (reputation resumes slowly to normal for each level you ascend).
* Should an attempt count as one of the 3 pick pocket attempts per level?

I think the original game only made the merchant disappear, which seems kinda tame/non-consequential.

kongxinga
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Re: Is thievery of Shopkeepers implemented?

Post by kongxinga » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:48 am

I see you made significant changes in the 1.8 changelog on stealing from shopkeepers, and I can't wait to try it. I think in the original, failing a steal causes a reduction in reputation, and negative reputation means there is a change the shopkeeper just runs when you first step into the square. Both haggling and pilfering can tank your reputation, and a failed attempt means the shopkeeper immediately goes away. As far as I know there were no way of regaining it, so eventually you hit -100 reputation and ALL shopkeepers run from you. -100 is only about 20 failed attempts, and shuts you out of the capitalist economic system for the game. I think pilfering from shopkeepers should not count in the 3 pickpocket attempts. Can't wait to try out your system.

On reading the changelog, I like that wisdom no longer tries to increase my Mana/Spellpower. Can the same be applied to God of Secrets? As someone playing a thief typed character, the first thing I noticed was that the suggested God Of Secrets was randomly buffing attributes I can't use. I had thought it was WAD, but if not, having the same rules from wisdom apply here would be much appreciated.

*edit: I realized your reputation in the Frank Malota version can be regained by buying something without haggling, by one points. I still have the faq from that game, been playing Lost Labyrinth for more than a decade it seems.