Bragging

Anything related to the Lost Labyrinth game series.
Grunz

Re: Bragging

Post by Grunz » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:48 pm

old post, but still..
With "Dark Magic" you probably meant "Dark Mana" spell in PB laby. That one does NOT make mana from health. It makes mana from bone tiles and is thus a strictly limited resource. You have to walk to those tiles and the tile will vanish on use.
Also you need to step onto the tile, so a skelly might rise from it and prevent the use. Can be prevented with a bard song, but that'd be another 2 CP to spend.

Also, in PB laby, disintegration does not destroy walls, portal does. It is great to remove portcullises or boulders though.

zefz
Site Admin

Post by zefz » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:08 pm

Ah yes, Dark Mana. It is the same in LabyDX, it requires bones and is therefore indeed a limited resource.

I did not know that disintegrate did not destroy walls in original Laby (even though I added the spell!). Might be it is too powerful because of it. But it requires a mana crystal to cast and is also a limited resource in that way. It does make Air Magic a lot more attractive pick though.

Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by Max » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:15 am

What I was going for there is that Earth Magic seems a bit week (maybe even useless by comparison).
Portal is the big draw card for Earth Magic but it's nothing to disintegration, teleportation, etc.
Earth Magic still needs a little help even if we think disintegration is fine.

Does Portal use a mana crystal? If we remove the mana crystal cost from portal (and keep it's mana cost higher than disintegration) this will give both spells an advantage.
Also giving a reason for players to have both Air and Earth (a reason to have elemental magic).

zefz
Site Admin

Post by zefz » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:04 am

Earth Magic does however have Sense Earth and Stoneskin which are very useful in my opinion.

Removing the crystal requirement would make the Portal spell very powerful (on par with Disintegrate). I wonder if Disintegrate is too powerful currently. It should be able to disintegrate gates/doors/boulders/traps/monsters, but not walls. That way it is more like original Lost Labyrinth and not excessively more powerful than all other magic.

Grunz

Post by Grunz » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:19 am

The biggest spells in earth magic for me were "remove traps" and "remove boulders".
The first one makes basic magic redundant and can remove undiscovered traps, the second one has great synergies with Midas Touch and Energy from Stones. Though I have to see how things work out in DX with the mana crystal economy.

Speaking of mana crystals: Those are one of the big changes in DX. They provide a resource conundrum on what to spend them. One disadvantage compared to old laby's spell limits is making white magic even less appealing. In old laby, the different "redundant" healing spells provided by White Magic all have their own spell per level limits. Thus having more different spells DOES provide more healing power. That does not work in DX.
Maybe give White Magic a spell that can create mana crystals? That spell could eat a sanctum or nexus charge and thus still be a limited resource.

Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by Max » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:26 am

I bet the spell break boulders would be good with star magic's jewelry and ring master.
'Ring master'', it's like I'm running a circus here :D

zefz
Site Admin

Post by zefz » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:46 pm

I've made some changes for the next release and rebalanced some of the spells mentioned above:

Code: Select all

* NEW FEATURE: Added Shrines which can be used to either gain a boon or a disadvantage depending on luck and traits
* NEW FEATURE: Added 5 new labyrinth wall varieties and 3 new floor types
* NEW FEATURE: Added new type of Magic Door that can be unlocked using Mana Crystals
* UPDATE: Word of Healing (White Magic) no longer requires a mana crystal to cast
* UPDATE: Magic Bandage (Arcane Magic) is now a level 7 spell and also heals 1 life
* UPDATE: Restoration (White Magic) now also removes Petrification and Fear
* UPDATE: Disintegrate (Air Magic) no longer destroys wall tiles
* UPDATE: Increased number of doors and optional passages in the Labyrinth
* UPDATE: Increased amount of mushrooms growing in the labyrinth
* UPDATE: The Curse of Kvasir now prevents mapping the current level
* UPDATE: Increased light level given by the Night Vision trait (about the same as a torch now)
* UPDATE: Insect Swarm is now less deadly when used by lower level monsters
* UPDATE: Rebalanced various low-level monsters to be less deadly vs specific builds
* UPDATE: Reduced length of game by increasing the frequency of staff pieces that appear (once every 10 levels)
* FIX: Petrified monsters cannot move anymore
* FIX: Chicken Curse not always triggering correctly
* FIX: Characters with No Magic will no longer gain Mana or Spell Power from special effects
* FIX: Monsters will no longer conjure additional monsters inside unexplored rooms
* FIX: The default Barbarian template having invalid trait setup
* FIX: Curses are now properly removed at the sanctum if the player has the Acolyte trait
* FIX: Remove Curses (White Magic) not working properly
* FIX: Monsters will no longer cast spells through unexplored rooms
* FIX: Permanently losing max health can no longer kill you
* FIX: Bug causing merchants rooms appear 30% more often than intended
* FIX: Various minor issues with buttons for the scrollbar UI component (thanks to Max for reporting)

Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by Max » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:08 pm

Sounds good!
Thanks agin Zefz.

Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by Max » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:19 pm

Victorious!

Finally Victorious, missed first place by only 400 points :D

Traits working realy well...
Trap Expertise, auto disarm very nice.
Spell Weaving, on/off at no mana cost (tho when it's on it does add to the cost of portal)
Geniekind all good 8-)

Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by Max » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:06 pm

Level 150 finished!! :D

Victorious. First Place.
Walked out of the dungeon (found the holy grail :lol: )

All in only 828 turns.
by contrast
Second place: 5481 turns Victorious
Third place: 5386 turns Victorious

Who would have thought? First time I used Pathfinder :roll: