Bragging

Anything related to the Lost Labyrinth game series.
Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Re: Bragging

Post by Max » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:49 am

zefz wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:33 pm
Like so :)
Nice! Looking forward to it :D
kongxinga wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:44 pm
...especially a wizard and God of War since you sit on the nexus, and cast those full dungeon nukes...
Ha! Those were the days :)
Back then the spell pestilence (druid) was also a nuke.
So with armageddon (fire) you could do 2 nukes each level.
There were no mana crystals in the game, instead you needed to sacrifice a magic item for each cast.
I still have an old screenshot of that actually. I'll post it up somewhere.
My next test is going to be armageddon with paladin, if the level is big enough then could this refill my mana?
kongxinga wrote:
Been using SpellSongs (no mana needed) or just hybrid classes such as Archer+Warlock for magic arrows.
SpellSongs is great.
I pick SpellSongs with poverty and magic talet then you start with War drums.
War drums alone is so powerful at level 1 it will let your mage fight bare handed through the first levels.
I have never tryed using bows and arrows, it's on my list for things for later.
Warlock seems fun, I had a go at it. My favorite was the Shadow Cloak but then I found I could cast it throught high magic anyway.
High magic also gives you a magic weapon, like Warlock. I fealt the two were not complementing and High magic could replace Warlock.
kongxinga wrote:
I am wary of poison weakness on my troll character, since poison stops the heal, but I guess I could take it.
Any poison that will not actually kill you has done nothing to you. You can just wait it out.
With the +2CP you get from poison weakness you could now get constitution or goddess of health. Your heath total will go up counterbalancing the poison weakness.
This is a beter character because you still have all those hit points when there is no poison around.
kongxinga wrote:
Any difficulty against that late game monster the AOD (old forums always used the initials to avoid spoilers)
Your right. I do teleport/bypass lots of things without even learning their names.
Sorry, I don't know which one the AOD is, I remember the hydra was cool but I have not seen it in this version.
kongxinga wrote:
...hiring hirelings to walk in front, driving a herd of cattle in front, and poking things with a 10 foot pole.
Nice!
Yes, thats right, I remember now playing dungeons and dragons.
We had this one guy, who always sent in his familiar.
I wish someone at our table had thought of a herd of cattle! lol

kongxinga
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by kongxinga » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:51 am

Ha, YAVP, my first ever, after more than a decade of LostLaby of various versions.

I am AscencionTim in 1.8, snuck past everything, but it was very tedious.

Per max, Poison Weakness goes very well with Genie and Troll, so I managed to squeeze in a tanky build that can take hits and sneak past the rest. The only enemy towards the end that gave me trouble were shadow demons, who could dodge 5 or 6 attacks in a row.

Phew. It was very tedious. I had a save scummed character to ascencion just to sea the end game threats, then started a new character with a revised build to win legitimately.

Takeaways.

Dangerous route is bad, not worth the points, hurts you early game as well as endgame where the special levels will kill you, such as a level of spreading fire or all monsters are aware of you. For 1 point this is too much trouble.

Endgame weapons are legendary blades which are 1 handers. So you don't need monkey arms to duel wield 2 handers, as funny as that seems. I duel wielded 2 legendary blades and killed everything I needed.

Necrophobia is not worth it. It exposes you to powerful casters in the endgame, and being stuck because of a stupid skeleton in the square while being blasted is bad. Not to mention the Pharoahs, if they get off a insect swarm you have to run and heal non stop.

Poverty is a good pick, and so is armour mastery. I could wear shadow plates which made me sneaky and tanky, and poverty did not matter since my character was so strong in early levels it could punch its way through till we got enough stats to sneak. Once I found a weapon, any weapon it was all good to go.

Late game is very tedious. I used the lore skill to find out where the rooms where, and checked it for staff, then used a chimney to skip the level. I could explore it safely, but it was getting tedious. I am glad the staff spawns faster, since if I had to do it for 50 more levels I would have gone insane. The special level with the moons and stars was my last one and it was enormous with a ton of teleporters.

For ref, here is the high score entry.

PS( How is draconic lord more dangerous/higher ranked than Angel of Death (AOD)? I regularly just alpha striked and killed all dragons, but I was praying and never met an AOD. IIRC, the AOD cannot be crit, is immune to magic, cannot be snuck past, can only be hurt by magic weapons, and has 10000 hp as its base, and regularly throws a insta kill magic attack that needs a luck save. Dragons can be killed, often in one hit.)

---------------

1st place: AscencionTim

Last Words: "First win after a decade by Kong"
2020-11-29
Reached level 80 and scored 5890 points
Walked the Labyrinth for 25378 turns.
Killed 1553 monsters and collected 42478 gold pieces.
Staff Pieces Found: 7/7

Victorious!

Traits: Constitution, Duelist, Armour Mastery, Dual Weapon Fighting, Assassinate, Stealthy, Perceptive, Agile, Lucky, Ring Master, God Of Secrets, Troll Blood, Geniekind, Stupid, Poverty, Poison Weakness, Magic Weakness, Cursed, No Magic, ArachnophobiaDraconic Lord
Single Player
Version 1.8

Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by Max » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:11 am

Congratulations Kong!!
Well earned :D

zefz
Site Admin

Post by zefz » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:41 pm

kongxinga wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:51 am
Per max, Poison Weakness goes very well with Genie and Troll, so I managed to squeeze in a tanky build that can take hits and sneak past the rest. The only enemy towards the end that gave me trouble were shadow demons, who could dodge 5 or 6 attacks in a row.
Wow congratulations! A No Magic victory is really impressive, I think it used to be very rare in the old Lost Labyrinth. (I always wondered if it was possible myself). It's good to see that it is possible to wind the game without relying fully on magic. But perhaps non-magic builds need some changes to make them less "tedious" to play?
PS( How is draconic lord more dangerous/higher ranked than Angel of Death (AOD)?
Its not intentional. The ranks were mostly ordered by how impressive the monster looked/sounded rather than their power level ingame. We could make them swap places :)
Late game is very tedious. I used the lore skill to find out where the rooms where, and checked it for staff, then used a chimney to skip the level. I could explore it safely, but it was getting tedious.
I have looked into making the game less tedious on lower levels than before (adding more routes, optional paths, more exploration possiblities like shrines, more special levels, faster staff piece placements etc.). I guess the size of the level is the tedious part? (deep into the labyrinth the levels can get really big.
Endgame weapons are legendary blades which are 1 handers. So you don't need monkey arms to duel wield 2 handers, as funny as that seems. I duel wielded 2 legendary blades and killed everything I needed.
Sounds like I need to add more legendary/unique 2-handers which are more powerful than the 1-handers!

kongxinga
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by kongxinga » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:45 am

Between wands and scrolls, I had all the magic I needed. Priorities are escapes such as dimensional swap or sanctum, any insta kill spells, and any spells that can kill out of line of sight (insect swarm can chew through multiple monsters around a corner).

The tediousness is the size of the level. The last few were ginormous, and I shudder to think how long it will take to walk through say level 120. The last few levels I had to zoom out many levels to manage the map. This kinda works to my advantage with god of secrets (the only god that scales with the level size), however, with all the guaranteed damage dealing from the pit traps/fire traps/poison traps, that do a TON of damage, I had to sit out hundreds of turns to regenerate my health. If I needed food it would be GG right there once the herbs run out. With high energy I can trigger multiple traps each turn, so the limiting factor was not energy, but health. I think it is a problem with this build, since it is meant to explore every corner of the dungeon to find secret doors. Once stat cap was reached, I hit diminishing returns, and so had to switch to getting through the levels fast.

The problem was especially bad on the starry astral special level full of mazes and teleporters. I had to keep good track of the teleporters and where they led, and started dropping herbs as a breadcrumb to mark ones I have explored. It took a great deal of methodological exploring to finally get the right sequence of teleports to arrive at the exit stairs. This made me very glad the staff shows up earlier, because if this level showed up later, the exponentially complicated maze path would be quite hard to solve. This is a fun level at say level 20, but at level 80 it became depth first search on a large scale, but with teleporters.

The first few levels, especially my run up to the first special level, was not tedious at all, and very fun.

Most other builds are meant to find the nexus/santum asap, get their bonus, then go to the stairs and rely on some sort of magic to allow them to find and beeline to the stairs. With this build, it is walk, trigger every pit, eat some herbs/wait, walk, more traps, wait, wrong way, let's backtrack, darn I have to step on all these traps yet again.

My hardest fight was my first special level, which was hell/gehennon again. The hell knight somehow spotted me, so I backed up, paused and checked my inventory. I had picked clean the previous levels, so any items or stat boosts were gone. I hit him with blind but he resisted and blasted me, but I got him with the 2nd blind, then used poison arrows to shoot him down. My 2nd blind was also my last scroll that was relevant, and I was too weak to trade shots with him and since he regenerates fast I could not even hit and run him to death. I got really lucky that my 2nd scroll of blind landed.

I had a much harder time in my savescummed build which had necrophobia, because the undead are common and powerful, so created many dangerous areas I had to bypass. With this build, only invisible creatures gave me issues. Any aware creature I waited out of range to regenerate energy, then smacked him with multi hits (I could squeeze in 6+1 hits with max energy) which usually did the trick. I think necrophobia is a valid pick for fighters or mages who never rely on sneak for the most part, but the penalties are steep for thieves/rogues.

I used to swear on critical hits, but with all the big monsters being immune to crit, I may think again about picking it.

One aspect of the new faster staff generation seemed like the AOD did not seem to appear. Maybe it did in a corner, but I never ran into it (and I think you have to run into it, since it is invisible as well). In the old versions you will cry if you see it on the stairs, and you are out of rope. Maybe it has more of a chance to show up in deeper levels.

Going to see if I can win in fewer turns like Max's runs, maybe a no mana bard build with hunter. I had prior success in this LabyDX version with this, almost felt like farming. You find a rat or easy animal, maybe even trigger it to call reinforcements, kill other monsters, then let it take over the level. Then kill what you needed and eat the drumsticks/ham, return when necessary to harvest more meat, while bardic magic can get you regeneration eventually. As for water, bring 5 skins, and walk into a lake.

My closest prior victory attempt was in the old Frank Malota version where Scroll lore meant you could learn spells, so I picked that, and no other magic picks, and eventually amassed an arsenal of great spells, which combined with infinite nexus use got me very far.

Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by Max » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:18 am

2020-12-04 White Magic
2020-01-18 dean sneakV3

After 11 months! Back in first place :D

White Magic is really good now.

kongxinga
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by kongxinga » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:59 pm

Max is a true trailblazer. That gold amount and monster kills. Only thing impressive with my run is the turn number or how slow the win was haha.

Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by Max » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:30 pm

One thing that is really unique with your one Kong is that you are actually fighting the monsters (when you have to, I mean).
AscencionTim: Duelist, Dual Weapon Fighting, Assassinate.
dean sneakV3: Armour Mastery, Shield Mastery, Parry.
Dean is like a true rogue, you maybe like a fighter/rogue. Good to see it working.

It's also unique that you got Geniekind to the top of the list.
With Geniekind most of those turns are just pressing the 'x' button, am I right?
It's a totally different strategy, these is no converting game turns to real life time.
...have you tried Troll Blood with Mystic? :)

-----------------------------------------------------

Talking about myself again, my wins feel like game exploits (and some really are).
The monster kills are from using Armageddon on every level (1 button, no fighting).
The gold is from Mercenary (automatic. Little gold finding/picking up).
Getting to the exit is 'find exit' + 'true sight' + 'teleport'.
Rinse and repeat.

In that last run I also got lucky with an Etheralness staff that just would not break.
None of this is really going to be a fair test until we have monster ambushs back in the game again. Many of my mages would die to ambushs.

Just to be clear, I have not been playing that one run over 11 months! :D haha
It was on/off over maybe 4 days.
11 months is how long it's taken me to get it together (experimenting/calculating/playing over games :) )

Max
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by Max » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:36 pm

Team 17? Kong is that one of yours?

5890 points AscencionTim
5894 points Team 17 ?

Just 4 points over AscencionTim... man...
Your still in the top 5 of all time.

Rombosman
Labyrinth Champion
Labyrinth Champion

Post by Rombosman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:16 pm

Wizard top 1 :D i wanted to reach lvl 150, but i forgot there were only 7 staff parts, i was sure there was 9 :cry: