So, traps.

Anything related to the Lost Labyrinth game series.
sleekie

Re: So, traps.

Post by sleekie » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:27 pm

I like the sound of most of those ideas, but I think part of the problem is that traps are a substantial feature and this is the only trait that directly addresses them. Compare to the number of traits that directly address monsters. You don't want players to have to buy this one trait as a matter of course.
Max wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:01 am
sleekie wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:48 pm
You can't afford to go less than nuclear on traps, because you can't afford to lose your level xp over and over.
It does sound like pit traps are the problem (as opposed to all traps).
The more I think about it, the more I'm not really sure if that's the case. Partly because I have no idea: I max Dex and Perc anyway so it's more like pit traps are what's a big problem to me, because I only set traps off once per 100 and that's the one that causes me the most bother. At least it does early on before you've maxed most of your stats anyway, they suffer from a degradation of threat as you go deeper in. Eventually all they mean is that you have to decide whether to climb back up for your nexus/sanctuary bonus and/or to look in rooms etc. If you already descended 70 levels then ascending 1 level probably isn't that big a deal if you even need to. I have no idea what traps are like without Dex and Perc out the wazoo because I am SRS ROGUELIKE PLAYER and I play to win, so I'm boring and try to optimize. I've seen that old highscore table entry with someone dying to an axe trap that dealt like 148 damage. This, by the way, is why I had no idea traps had been damage-nerfed in the first place.

The other problem is that we the players have no idea what traps are 'supposed' to do. I mean, they're there to drain resources from the player in one form or another, so what are the floor and ceiling of those drains? We don't know.